Monday, July 15, 2013

Florida Trip with the Boys and Lake Family Reunion at Anna Maria Island

Our trip to Florida was a lot of fun, but it was also really difficult. I went with the boys for two weeks. Gordy couldn't miss that much studying, so I went a week ahead of him. Adam flew out with me to help with the boys, which was greatly appreciated. The boys did really well on the flight. They loved the suckers I brought with us to help their ears pop, and they were so excited to see Gramma and Grandpa. 




Here's where the hard part comes in. As soon as we got there, Jack got a terrible cold. At night time, he would be scorching with a fever. It was terrible. 

The day after we got there, I burnt the living day light out of my hand when I grabbed the handle of a pan that had just been in a 450 degree oven. It hurt worse than anything I can remember. I asked for a blessing and had to try to fall asleep with my hand on ice, because as soon as I took it off I just wanted to cry and scream it hurt so bad. I was so worried that the vacation would be ruined for me without the use of my  hand. Here I was, in Florida, with both boys, and a bum hand. Every mother out there knows that to be out of commission in any way shape or form is not good. Mom's have to be functioning at full capacity 100% of the time. 

Anyway, the next morning I woke up, and my hand was completely healed. It was the first time in my life that I was healed in such a way. It really was a miracle to wake up the next morning and there was no pain at all and barely even a mark. It was a blessing to me to witness the power of the priesthood in such a personal way. 

But the next morning, I decided it would be good for all of us to get out and go for a walk and look at all the animals in the neighborhood. I found some blackberry bushes lining a fence, and called Jack over to see, since blackberries are his absolute favorite. I guess I forgot where I was for a moment. but I walked into some tall grass. Never again. Jack and I got attacked by fire ants. We just could not win. 


But there were some fun moments too. Jack and Charlie loved playing in this little swimming pool, and riding the golf cart. I got to work on stripping some chairs. And we all got a good laugh when Jack undressed a manichan while we were shopping...









.... but then Charlie got sick too. Man, was he miserable. It was so, so sad. We were all exhausted from lack of sleep, and I suppose you can only wipe someone else's snot so many times before you become sick yourself. Which is what happened to me. So, the entire week prior to family vacation was spent nursing sick children and/or being sick myself. Charlie and I were still sick when we got to the family reunion. 



The house we stayed at was gorgeous. Of course within the first hour we were there, Jack slipped and fell into the pool and I had to jump in fully clothed to save him. I forgot my phone was in my back pocket, because that kind of thing doesn't typically run through your mind when your kid is drowning. By some miracle, I didn't ruin it. 


My dad did a delicious low country boil and home made ice cream. I'm pretty sure that's what they eat in the celestial kingdom... The shrimp were as big as your hand. Not kidding. 





It was cloudy in the evenings, so we only got to see a few spectacular sunsets.  That was my favorite part of the day-- walking along the beach when the air was nice and cool and the day was winding down. The whole family would walk down every night. Those are the memories I will hold close to my heart for a long time. 

















Grandpa and Charlie were best of friends and they even had matching hats!


Uncle Danny brought his boat and were were able to go out on it a little bit. The island you see behind Gordy in this picture Jack so lovingly named "Stinky Island". I guess the tide was out and it smelled kind of bad the first time he went to see it. Such a silly kid. 




We really had to hold on to him tightly because he just kept wanting to touch the water. I swear that I just belong on a boat in the salt water. I love it so much. 


We drove to the point of Anna Maria Island one day to try out a new beach and oh. my. word. it was gorgeous. There are no words. Clear water, white sugary sand. big tide pools for the boys to play in. It was heaven. Adam and Amanda even found like 30 whole sand dollars bigger than your hand!





It seems to have become kind of a tradition for Nanny to take all of us out to dinner one night of vacation. We went to a delicious seafood place and had such a good time. Charlie and I still had runny noses of course...



We took family pictures on our newly discovered beach. It was actually perfect because the evening we were able to do pictures was the evening we had the most spectacular sunset.  The colors were unbelievable. 



This is what our bed looked like. Not much room in the king sized bed when you have to share it with TWO side ways sleepers. 


Aunt Kathy gave me a little painting lesson. It was a lot of fun. 


Here's the whole gang!


Some of the highlights of the vacation, other than the ones I have already mentioned, were: dad made ice cream sandwiches which were awesome! The family minute to win it game night is always a favorite. But the time I laughed the hardest, was watching Nanny put on high heels and dance and prance around the living room. It was so awesome!


Gordy had to leave early to get back to studying for the bar, so I waited around until Adam and Amanda were ready to go home so I could have their help on the plane. Well, the plane was full, Adam and Amanda had to take two seats in first class while the boys and I were back in coach. So, I was basically on my own. It was really difficult because I had Charlie in my lap while simultaneously trying to keep Jack in his seat and entertained. Neither one slept or ate the entire 4.5 hour flight. There was a flight attendant from Hades who was so rude to me and made me almost cry. It was a really difficult day, but we got through it. It just made me all the more grateful to be home. 





No comments:

Post a Comment