Friday, May 18, 2012

Gramma Jacque


This past Sunday, Gordy's Gramma passed away after being afflicted with Alzheimer's for several years. Aside from occasional visits, I didn't know her well, because by the time I joined the family, Alzheimer's had robbed Gramma Jacque of her ability to speak.

She was the sort of woman though, that you could feel her spirit just by sitting with her, and I'm glad that I at least had that opportunity a few times.


What I do know about Gramma Jacque is this: She was the kind of woman I aspire to be. I’ve heard story after story about her, and not a one of them negative. If you knew her, you loved her. That’s just the way it was. Gramma Jacque was a social butterfly. Every where she went she ran into someone she knew, and she always had to say hello…  I think about how many times I have seen someone I know in the grocery store and pretended not to see them, just so I could avoid an awkward conversation or because I was in a hurry… This was not Gramma’s way. She was a friend to everyone and always took the time to catch up and chat when she saw an old acquaintance. I’m so glad that she passed this quality down to Gordy. Hopefully I can learn to be more like them.


I’ve also heard stories of her legendary Sunday dinners. She would spend hours preparing elaborate Sunday meals, while also setting an immaculate table, complete with center pieces, and china, and all… and the family would sit and chat over these spectacular dinners for HOURS! Quite the feat when you consider she had FIVE boys and a daughter to boot! It takes a miracle worker to get that many boys to sit still for that long, wouldn’t you agree?

Even though I never had the privilege of having a conversation with Gramma Jacque before her disease stole away her ability to communicate, I feel like I have learned a lot from her example and the type of life she lived. I hope that I can be as good of a friend as she was, I hope that I can serve other’s as she did, and I pray that I can love and take care of my family the way she always has.

Anyway, Gramma Jacque will be sorely missed by our family, but we know she is so happy now, and that makes us happy too. Heaven must be rejoicing to have such a beloved  and happy spirit join the concourses of angels. 


No comments:

Post a Comment