Monday, November 5, 2012

Halloween

This year, I agonized for weeks about what I could do for Halloween costumes for our family. Gordy agreed to dress up as long as he didn't have to do any of the work getting the costumes together.... I couldn't pass up the opportunity, but I also couldn't come up with any good ideas. So, I decided to just ask Jack what he wanted to be. His answer, a policeman.



Okay, we can work with that. I searched high a low for a little boys policeman costume and couldn't find anything in the stores, and online the cheapest one I could find was 40 bucks. No thank you. seriously, you'd think a policeman would be a more common costume, but it turns out that spiderman and the like are more popular these days.








Anyway, I remembered seeing online somewhere that someone dressed their baby up like a bag of money. So I thought, this is perfect, Jack will be a policeman, Gordy and I will be robbers, and Charlie will be our bag of money.



I made the boys costumes and I think they both looked so cute! It's too bad that I completely botched our robbers masks. You'd think I'd be able to cut two ovals out of a piece of black fabric, but no, apparently, I can't. So we ended up just wearing all black and explaining to everyone what we were. Oh well. Can't win 'em all I guess.


We went to the ward trunk or treat and Jack had the best time running around with all of the kids, spilling chili all over his costume, and saying "trick or treeeeeeeat" to collect his candy. For some reason, he only chooses the candy I would absolutely never ever choose... You know, whoppers and banana taffy and the like. Funny kid.



On monday, I took the boys up to the law school to do the trick or treating thing there. Charlie, of course, slept the entire time, so he never even made it into his costume because my plan was to dress him when we got there. After all, sleeping in a money hat can't be too comfortable... It was a good thing that Charlie was sleeping because Gordy had class until 5:30, so we were on our own for the entire trick or treat part of the night, and you better believe Jack was a handful. That's also why there aren't any pictures of the law school trick or treat...

Jack's costume was a big hit. Every door we went to he got ooh's and aaaahh's and he was just a doll when he would say "trick or treat" and "happy Halloween" to every professor.

After we did the trick or treating part of the night, there was a costume parade for all of the little kids. Jack won the best costume for the boys for the second year in a row. Proud Momma.

Then they had Aver's pizza for dinner in the students lounge, which Gordy was able to join us for. It was delish. I was so distracted by the pizza that I failed to realize that Jack ate four entire strawberries, green tops and all, while I wasn't paying attention. Oh well, more fiber I guess?

 This year we picked out the most GORGEOUS pumpkin at the farmers market. Instead of carving it, I decided it would be better to paint it, so that Jack could actually participate. He had so much fun. The entire pumpkin ended up green though because I have him green, and yellow, and blue paint, thinking that those were more boy-ish colors. I should have known better, and I should have known that all of the colors were going to mix together. Oh well. We had fun, and we had a fun green pumpkin.








Needless to say, we had a really great Halloween with our two boys. Holidays are so much more fun when you have kids.


1 comment: