Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Thanksgiving

Since the boys and I were traveling these last two weeks, Gordy and I decided that we would make Thanksgiving a family dealio so we could spend more time with each other and less time worrying about a large group.

What was on the menu you might ask?

Roast Turkey, Cream Cheese and Herb Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Cornbread Dressing with Apples and Sausage, Roasted Brussell Sprouts with Dried Cranberries and a Balsamic Reduction, Cranberry Pomegranate Sauce, and Pecan Pie with Maple Cream





Whew! That was a lot of work! Two days worth to be exact (not including the shopping). I spent a whole heck of a lot of time in the kitchen getting this meal ready, but let me tell ya, it was totally worth it.

This was the first time I have ever cooked a turkey, and the first time I have ever brined anything in my entire life. So I decided, what the heck? It was pretty easy for me to decide to go out on a limb and try something new because it was only our family. I was pretty anxious the entire time that the turkey was going to be too salty, so I cut back on the salt and crossed my fingers that it would be okay... It turned out pretty durn tasty, and oh so juicy,  if I do say so myself, AND not at all salty. Gordy actually added MORE salt to his. Doing the brine was a lot of work, but I'd do it again.

I also tried a new recipe for the dressing (much to Gordy's dismay). He says he's just so in love with my classic dressing that he doesn't know why I would EVER, EVER try anything else. I thought that it was pretty good, but I think Gordy didn't like the mild sweetness of it. Oh well. You live and you learn. It's a good thing Christmas is around the corner and I'll have yet another excuse to make more dressing.

We had a Thanksgiving day miracle. Our plan was to put Jack down for his nap and then eat so that we would have a chance to actually taste our food. Well, dinner was taking longer to complete than usual (as these things typically do) so our hopes of eating kid-free were slowly being crushed. Nevertheless, we hurried along and finished up cooking, and everything was even ready at the same time (SCORE!). We decided to try to hurry up and eat while we still could, certain that Jack would wake up as soon as we sat down. But he didn't. Bless that little guy, he just kept sleeping and sleeping. We ate our entire meals and then looked at each other with an expression that said, "now what?".

Well, we decided that we would try to clean up the kitchen, because man oh man was it a disaster... and that little Jack just kept right on sleeping. We got the entire mess cleaned up and had time to eat pie and take a little rest all before he woke up.

It was one of his longest naps ever and it was AWESOME. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my kid, but it is SO much easier to enjoy a meal when you aren't catering to your two year old ever five seconds...

Of course we have so much to be grateful for. Of note this year was the addition of Charlie to our family, healthy bodies, and a new job offer for Gordy.

No comments:

Post a Comment