Monday, March 18, 2013

Charlie, 6 Months

Guess who just had his half birthday!?! This little munchkin!


His 6 Month Stats
Head: 45 cm.... 90th% 
Height: 27 in.... 75th%
Weight: 14 lbs 9 oz ... 10th%



What you should know about Charlie this month... He is absolutely the sweetest baby. He has the best temperament of any baby I've ever seen. He is usually very content to just be around others and watch what they are doing. He has the sweetest little smile too. All you have to do to elicit a smile from him is simply smile yourself. This little guy LOVES to be happy, and I love that about him. 

He put on a pound or so over the last month, since the introduction of solids. So far he's mostly eaten rice cereal and vegetables... I have this crazy notion that introducing fruits first will make kids less likely to eat vegetables. So, with Jack and with Charlie, we try to hold off on fruits for at least the first month of introducing baby food. So far we have a 100% success rate with non-picky eaters. We'll see if my theory holds true for Charlie too. So far, we haven't come across one thing he won't eat. Except a bottle. This kid refuses to take a bottle. He finds it highly offensive if he is offered one. Anyway, he's typically eating two solid meals a day and nursing around 4 times during the day and usually 2-4 times at night...



Speaking of night... remember how we moved Charlie into the nursery last month? Well, that didn't last long. He's back in our room now. Aye, aye, aye. If anyone out there has any suggestions on how to institute room sharing with a 6 month old and a two year old, please teach me all of your tricks. I'm such a wuss. Every time Charlie would wake up in there I would freak out that he was going to wake Jack up. So, after a couple of nights of sleeping in his bouncy chair in our room, we decided to move his bed back into our room. I guess it's a good thing he isn't a light sleeper, since it seems he's sticking around in our room much longer than anticipated...

Charlie still LOVES to sleep in his car seat. It's a blessing and a curse. Because I still am not willing to be tied down to the house all day every day with alternating nap schedules, Charlie often falls asleep in the car while I'm running a quick errand. It honestly takes him less than two minutes before he's out. I think he gets this trait from his Gramma Lake. Anyway, it's a blessing because I can often run several errands and he will snooze the entire time. But it's a curse because I can't go anywhere without ruining his nap schedule, because even if he just woke up from a nap, he'll STILL fall asleep in the car. What's a mom to do?

Charlie is a champ at putting himself to sleep. This is another one of his many admirable qualities. He is such an angel baby. Unfortunately, because of the aforementioned lack of a sleep schedule, he often takes around 5 little power naps a day. They usually last around 30 mins instead of taking three longer naps. His lack of sleep schedule also causes him to wake up several times a night too. No bueno.

BUT over the last couple of days, I've been focusing extra hard on trying to establish a schedule for him. Already we've seen some major improvements in the length of his naps. He is now going to bed between 7-8 PM (instead of 11 PM) and he's down to three naps a day! Such good news for this Momma. Hopefully we can keep this progress up!


Charlie slept all the way through the night for the first time this month! He did this twice. Unfortunately, Jack was throwing up those nights, so Gordy and I still didn't get a full night of sleep. It totally gives he hope that I will soon be able to sleep through the night. What's it like to get a full, uninterrupted 8 hours? I can hardly remember... If Charlie can keep sleeping for longer stretches of time, hopefully we'll be able to move him back into the room with Jack. 


Charlie is getting better and better at sitting up. I usually leave him propped up with the boppy just in case he falls, but if I'm sitting beside him he's totally okay sitting on his own. He will eventually tip over though. He does so much better if he's holding onto a toy in front of him. It must help his center of gravity or something. 


Charlie still hasn't rolled over from his back to his tummy. Instead of flipping over, he just kind of arches his back and walks with his feet around in a circle until he can see what he wants to see. It's sort of break dancer-ish. 


This kid is a drooler. He is pretty much constantly covered in slobber. I think its mostly because he tries to eat the buttons/zippers on his shirts and jammies.  I should probably invest in some more bibs.

Charlie is ticklish on pretty much every part of his body... legs, neck, chest, arms. He's so much fun to play with.


Charlie's favorite toy is a ring stacker that lights up and plays music (thanks Gramma and Grandpa). When you take it away from him, he yells. He also enjoys playing with a plastic mirror, well not the mirror per se, more like the velcro strings on the mirror. He loves those for some reason. 


Lately, while trying to nurse Charlie, he'll latch on for a few seconds and then yell at me. He'll do this over and over again until I sing to him, then he settles in and eats. It's kind of a funny way he has of getting me to sing to him, but it's really cute. 


We're at the stage where everything he gets his hands on, goes in his mouth. Can't say that I love this stage. I guess it's probably time to go through all of Jack's toys and eliminate the choking hazards. 


Charlie kind of  squeals when he laughs and it is so dang adorable. 

He's starting to show the first signs of stranger danger. He's only reacted negatively to one of our male friends, so we probably aren't too far away from full fledged stranger danger anxiety. 


Charlie and Jack now take baths together in the big bath tub. They love it so much. I love watching the two of them interact together.

Charlie does not have any teeth yet. Thank goodness. I don't know what I'm going to do about nursing when his teeth come in since he refuses to take a bottle...


Charlie gets SO excited when Gordy comes home from school. It's adorable to watch.

I'm the WORST at letting Charlie have tummy time. I hate it and he hates it, so we mostly never do it. I should probably shape up on that so he learns how to crawl...


Getting Charlie up from his naps and up in the mornings is one of my favorite things to do. He is ALWAYS so excited to see me. He'll flash me a big grin, squeal, kick his legs, and wave his arms until I pick him up. Who wouldn't love to wake up to that?



Charlie is a very curious little fellow, and when he can manage to stay awake on an outing, he loves to just look around and take in the sights. I'm really excited for spring to come so I can have some out doors time with him. I know he'll love it.

At his 6 month check-up, the doctor told me that Charlie is one month ahead of schedule developmentally. Always feels good to know that.


I feel so privileged that I get to have Charlie as my son. He reminds me of what it means to just be happy with life, today, as it is. He is such a wonderful, sweet baby and he really is just a joy to be around. I'm so lucky that I get to feel his influence every day and to watch him grow and learn new things. He is an incredible kid.  

No comments:

Post a Comment